Our client, a worldwide leading clean room manufacturer, required an automated assembly machine designed to assemble and test medical products 46 working weeks per year, 24/7 over 3 shifts and at 100% OEE. The machine had to be flexible to allow for the introduction of new or pilot/low volume products, which meant the retooling for these new products had to be easily achievable without any major redesign of the equipment.
This project required flexibility that ideally suited the integration of robotic technology into the final solution. A further development within the design phase of the project required the system to have a positive air pressure internal environment within the machine enclosure making it capable of conforming to an ISO Class 8 production process.
- A fully rendered animation of the machine was created to show the proposed automated cycle process. This allowed the customer and stakeholders to clearly visualise the final operational project.
- The basis of the system was flexibility so the focus was to use as much electrical driven actuations as possible.
- Footprint was at a premium so we structured the machine on our past knowledge of roof mounted robots – a 4 axis high speed SCARA and a 6 axis for complexity of movement.
- The main transfer of the machine used an NC type Weiss rotary transfer – servo driven using Rockwell drives linked to the Allen Bradley control structure.
- All feed mechanisms were AFAG type which allowed interchangeable bowl tops for future new products.
- Future proof capability came from interchangeable sonotrodes on ultrasonic welders and head change mechanisms on ATEQ and CTS test equipment.
- A flexible machine designed for the integration of future product assembly and testing.
- Optimisation of technical operators giving them the ability to cross function with other works.
- Use of high end technology and methods.
- A self-contained environment to ISO
- Class 8 production.
- Fully validated production process.
All our solutions are tailored to our customers specific production requirements and manufactured to the highest quality. For a full portfolio of our standard offerings review our comprehensive Process Catalogue.